Cold Moon is a 2016 American supernatural horror feature film directed by prolific Griff Furst (Nightmare Shark; Trailer Park Shark; Lake Placid III, Swamp Shark, Arachnoquake; et al) from a screenplay co-written with Jack Snyder, based on the novel Cold Moon Over Babylon by the late Michael McDowell (Beetlejuice and The Nightmare Before Christmas). The movie stars Josh Stewart, Candy Clark, Robbie Kay, Frank Whaley and Christopher Lloyd.
The soundtrack score was composed by Nathan Furst (Mask Maker; The Inheritance; Copperhead; et al).
In a sleepy southern American town, the Larkin family suffers a terrible tragedy.
Unfortunately, the Larkin’s are about to endure another tragedy. Traffic lights blink an eerie warning, a ghostly visage prowls in the streets, and graves erupt from the local cemetery in an implacable march of terror… And beneath the murky surface of the river, a shifting, almost human shape slowly takes form to seek a terrible vengeance…
Cold Moon receives limited theatrical release alongside On Demand digital 0n October 6, 2017, via Uncork’d Entertainment.
“ …there are some well done effects but it’s the script itself that provides the chills including a twist worthy of Hitchcock early in the film’s going, I actually had to rewind and double check it wasn’t a nightmare or hallucination scene […] an effective film that marries giallo with Southern Gothic.” Jim Morazzini, Beneath the Underground
“Cold Moon has its moments, offering odd, snake-infested visuals and creepy encounters, and it’s sure to fit the average movie maniac’s need to watch only horror features during October. It’s just a shame that its highlights are mostly contained to the first act.” Brian Orndorf, Blu-ray.com
” …overzealousness to incorporate paranormal spooks has Furst shooting standalone scenes of a ghost rising from its grave or a second person experiencing terrifying visions, independent of the “all in his mind” man. Cold Moon can’t walk a line between psychological thriller and supernatural horror show using mismatched perspectives.” Ian Sedensky, Culture Crypt
“There’s no clear reason why the supernatural stuff happens, other than the vague notion of an unjust death. It gets a little credit for one or two creepy ghost images, such as a Ring-like female ghost pedaling an invisible bicycle through the woods; but none of that is enough to save it, and literally every interesting ghost moment is in the trailer.” Horror Talk
“One could argue Cold Moon is the movie equivalent of a mass market-original, but you would expect more given the online love for McDowell’s original novel. It is never boring, but it often goes over the top in the wrong sort of way. Still, you can’t say Furst phones it in. In fact, he rather goes for broke. Defiantly ragged around the edges, Cold Moon will be a potent, whippit-like brain-cell-killing fix for fans of southern swamp gothic…” Joe Bendel, J.B. Spins
“The cinematography is excellent, and more than a few familiar faces (Christopher Lloyd, Rachele Brooke Smith, and Tommy Wiseau of The Room) provide plenty of evidence that this film got TLC […] The only letdowns here are some anachronistic outfits, a somewhat hurried script, and the rather over-the-top acting of Candy Clark…” Benjamin Welton, Ravenous Monster
Main cast and characters:
- Josh Stewart … Nathan Redfield – Malicious; Insidious: Chapter 4; The Neighbor
- Candy Clark … Evelyn Larkin – The Blob; Cat’s Eye; Amityville 3-D; The Man Who Fell to Earth
- Robbie Kay … Ben Redfield – Blood Fest
- Frank Whaley … Sheriff Ted Hale – Red Dragon
- Christopher Lloyd … James Redfield – The Sound; Muse; I Am Not a Serial Killer; The Addams Family; et al
- Rachele Brooke Smith … Belinda Hale
- Chester Rushing … Jerry Larkin
- Sara Catherine Bellamy … Margaret Larkin
- Joe Chrest … Chalres Darrish
- Laura Cayouette … Ginny Darrish
- Marcus Lyle Brown … Walter Perry
- Michael Papajohn … Ed Gieger
- Jaiden Kaine … Henry Harp
- Carol Sutton … Nina
- Madison Wolfe … Mandy
- James Moses Black … Preacher
- Jake Chiasson … Tall Boy (as Jake Chaison)
- Emerson Rhinewalt … Young Boy
- Abram Furst … Young Margaret
- Stephanie Honoré … Joanne Larkin
- Isaiah LaBorde … Jim Larkin
- Billy Slaughter … Raymond Everage
- Han Soto … Jay Neal
- Michelle DeVito … Waitress
- Ryan Carlos Castro … Billy
- Tommy Wiseau … Rattler Rodeo Official
Watch Cold Moon on Tubi
HORRORPEDIA is genuinely independent and we rely solely on the very minor income generated by affiliate links and online ads to maintain and grow our online presence. Please support us by not blocking ads on this website. Thank you.
Quick links to site contents: