The Dr. Phibes Companion: The Morbidly Romantic History of the Classic Vincent Price Horror Film Series is a 2018 book by Justin Humphreys, published in the USA by Bear Manor Media.
“In The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) and its sequel, Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972), horror great Vincent Price starred as vaudevillian organist and super-genius Dr. Anton Phibes, architect of incredibly ingenious murders.
Set in 1920s London and Egypt, their outstanding Art Deco production design, absurd humour, and soaring romance made them hits, beloved by generations of horror fans. The Abominable Dr. Phibes’ admirers include directors Tim Burton, Frank Darabont, and Ken Russell. Comedian Kumail Nanjiani built a scene around it in his The Big Sick (2017).
Quentin Tarantino recently programmed it five times in less than two months at Hollywood’s New Beverly Cinema. Andy Muschietti, director of IT (2017), has said that The Abominable Dr. Phibes ranks among the scariest films of his childhood.
Stephen King quipped on Facebook that the phrase “doctor recommended” on commercials makes him think of Dr. Phibes. The Telegraph ranked it among the fifty best horror films of all time and The Museum of Modern Art screened it in February, 2018.
Now, Phibesologist Justin Humphreys expands his extensive previous writings on the series to tell the full story of these unique cinematic masterpieces. The Dr. Phibes Companion includes:
- An expanded version of “The Kind of Fiend Who Wins,” the definitive history ofThe Abominable Dr. Phibes
- A new essay on the making of Dr. Phibes Rises Again
- A new foreword by Dr. Phibes’ creator, William Goldstein
- Interviews with many of the series’ creators, including director Robert Fuest, screenwriters William Goldstein and James Whiton, art director Brian Eatwell, sound designer Peter Lennard, including previously unpublished conversations with organist Nicholas Kynaston (“War March of the Priests”), composer John Gale, screenwriter Lem Dobbs, and others
- Never-Before-Seen production artwork by director Robert Fuest from Fuest’s personal shooting script
- Previously unpublished behind-the-scenes photographs
- Photographs of The Abominable Dr. Phibes’ world premiere from screenwriter James Whiton’s files
- Dozens of illustrations from the Phibes films
- A thorough history of the “unphilmed” Phibes sequels
- And much, much more. Read on, relax, and enjoy. The organ plays till midnight…”
HORRORPEDIA is truly independent and we rely solely on the minor income generated by affiliate links and ads to stay online. Please support us by not blocking ads on this site. Thank you.
Quick links to HORRORPEDIA contents: