‘Horror so incredible it stretches the mind of man beyond the breaking point’
Space Probe – Taurus – aka Space Monster – is a 1965 American science fiction feature film written, produced and directed by Leonard Katzman. It stars Francine York, James Brown, Baynes Barron and Russ Bender.
In the year 2000, the spaceship Hope One sets off to find new galaxies for colonisation. However, an encounter with an alien being and “a swarm of meteorites” sends the ship streaking off course into a sea of monsters on an uncharted world…
“This is one of director Leonard Katzman’s few writing credits, and that’s a shame, because although each and every scene carries with it all the clichés of the space movie, the dialogue is never leaden or dull. In fact, in most movies of this kind, The Chick would be a unsatisfying role to play, but Lisa proves to be a remarkably strong character…” The Bad Movie Report
” …uninspired acting, a plodding pace, and subpar special effects, makes for a way-below-average space adventure […] Years from now, you’ll only remember one thing about this movie, and that is a tongue darting in and out of an alien’s mouth.” Dave Sindelar, Fantastic Movie Musings and Ramblings
“While the bulk of the effects are cheesy, the shots of the astronauts floating around in space are well done. The monsters are cool too. I especially liked the rubbery looking alien who kept frantically licking its lips. The giant crabs, which are just regular crabs walking around an Estes rocket are also good for a laugh.” Mitch Lovell, The Video Vacuum
“Really bad, low-budget flick with a rubber monster and a climactic crash into a “sea of monsters” which is really a fish tank full of crabs. Ultra cheap production with handed down cast and props.” Videohound’s Complete Guide to Cult Flicks and Trash Pics
Dr. Lisa Wayne: “By the way Colonel, I think I know where some of that billions of dollars must have gone. To build a special helmet for that fat head of yours!”
Dr. Lisa Wayne: “What a horrible looking creature!”
Cast and characters:
- Francine York … Dr. Lisa Wayne – Astro Zombies: M3 – Cloned; The Centerfold Girls; Curse of the Swamp Creature; Mutiny in Outer Space
- James B. Brown … Colonel Hank Stevens – Targets
- Baynes Barron … Dr. John Andros – The Strangler (1964); From Hell It Came; Phantom of the Rue Morgue
- Russ Bender [misnamed Russ Fender in credits] … Dr. Paul Martin – I Saw What You Did; The Navy vs. the Night Monsters; The Strangler (1964); Anatomy of a Psycho; Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow; War of the Colossal Beast; The Veil TV series; I Bury the Living; The Amazing Colossal Man; It Conquered the World; War of the Worlds
- John Willis … TV Reporter
- Bob Legionaire … Faith I Crewman
- James Macklin [as Jim Maclin] … General Mark Tilman
- Phyllis Selznick … Earth Control Secretary
- John Lomma [as John Loma] … Earth Control
The alien mask was also used in The Wizard of Mars (1965).
Image credits: The Spectrum
HORRORPEDIA is wholly independent and we rely solely on the very minor income generated by affiliate links and internet ads to stay online. Please support us by buying via Amazon links and not blocking ads on our site. Thank you.
Quick links to contents: