‘Angrier. Deadlier. Sexier.’
American Psycho 2 – aka American Psycho II: All American Girl – is a 2002 black comedy slasher horror film sequel to American Psycho (2000) directed by Morgan J. Freeman from a screenplay by Alex Sanger and Karen Craig. It stars Mila Kunis (Black Swan) and William Shatner (Incubus; The Devil’s Rain; A Christmas Horror Story).
The film was adapted from a script titled The Girl Who Wouldn’t Die, and was originally conceived as a thriller with no association with American Psycho. It was not until production began that the film’s script was altered with the incorporation of the Patrick Bateman subplot.
In 2005, Kunis expressed embarrassment over the film, and spoke out against the idea of a sequel. “Please — somebody stop this,” she said. “Write a petition. When I did the second one, I didn’t know it would be ’American Psycho II.’ It was supposed to be a different project, and it was re-edited, but, ooh … I don’t know. Bad.”
A 12-year-old girl is being looked after a babysitter who is on a date with serial killer Patrick Bateman. After Bateman kills and starts to dissect her babysitter, the girl stabs him with an ice pick.
Fast forward to the present day and the girl, who is named Rachael Newman, is now a college student studying criminology under Professor Starkman, a former FBI agent. Rachael aspires to join the FBI and is determined to get the teaching assistant position under Starkman, which would make her a shoe-in for the FBI training program.
Tough competition for the position stands in her way, and Rachael proceeds to kill off classmates one by one…
“Well, let’s face it; the screenplay, directing and the film’s bravery are not up to par with the original “American Psycho”. But as a stand alone, kitschy, more conventional slasher…it worked. It’s tacky, easy on the eyes/ears and pleasant enough to peek under its skirt to witness the goods.” Arrow in the Head
“Kundis does a good job as Newman, blending sexuality with a sharp performance, although there are often telltale signs of the film’s breakneck 20-day shoot. The ‘Two Years Later’ coda is also ludicrous. But what would be a slasher sequel be without one of those? Despite its critical panning, American Psycho 2 could have been far worse.” Slasherama.com
” … a mixture of dumbed-down irony, groan-inducing black comedy, and gratuitous bloodshed. Like the original film, Psycho 2 treats mass murder as a joke, with society’s indifference as the punchline, but the gag isn’t fresh or funny this time around. Freeman and his screenwriters mistake misogyny and misanthropy for satire and sociological insight…” Nathan Rabin, A.V. Club
Cast and characters:
- Mila Kunis as Rachael Newman, the serial killer, and a student of Professor Starkman’s class, seeking to learn everything she can about serial killers.
- William Shatner as Robert Starkman, a college professor and former FBI agent. He teaches in the Behavioral and Social Sciences department and is Rachael’s professor.
- Kim Schraner as Elizabeth McGuire, Starkman’s assistant
- Geraint Wyn Davies as Eric Daniels, the school psychiatrist
- Michael Kremko as Patrick Bateman, the killer (in the original, Bateman was played by Christian Bale) in this film, the character exists only in Rachael’s memories.
- Robin Dunne as Brian Leads, one of Rachael’s classmates; he is choked to death with a condom by her.
- Kim Poirier as Barbara Brown, a student in Starkman’s class who is hoping for a good grade, only to be set aside due to the professor’s affair with Cassandra Blaire.
- Lindy Booth as Cassandra Blaire, a student in Starkman’s class with whom he is having an affair.
- Charles Officer as Keith Lawson
- Shoshana Sperling as Gertrude Fleck
- Lynne Deragon as Mrs. Newman
- Philip Williams as Mr. Newman
- Kay Hawtrey as Mrs. Daniels
Rachael Newman: “My mother drives me crazy. Now I know that sounds pretty clichéd but how many people actually envision carving into their mother’s neck and yanking out her vocal chords?”