‘The rich have always fed off the poor. This time it’s for real.’
Society is a 1989 American horror film directed by Brian Yuzna (his directorial debut) from a screenplay by Rick Fry and Woody Keith. The movie stars Billy Warlock, Devin DeVasquez, Evan Richards and Ben Meyerson.
Screaming Mad George was responsible for the film’s notable special effects.
The film is considered to be a minor classic in the body horror sub-genre. A sequel, Society 2: Body Modification, was in development, with a script written by Stephan Biro but it never materialised.
Billy (Bill Whitney) is a just a regular teenager growing up in late-80s California. Surrounded by rich, upscale friends Billy is soon introduced to the lifestyles of the Beverly Hills set. But the partying takes a turn for the weird when Billy is shown a videotape of his family getting up to some truly sick activities at a party, and Billy is about to step into the nightmarish and surreal world behind the facade of Hollywood high society…
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation
- Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- New Audio Commentary with Director Brian Yuzna
- Governor Of Society with Brian Yuzna
- The Masters Of The Hunt with stars Billy Warlock, Devin Devasquez, Ben Meyerson and Tim Bartell
- The Champions Of The Shunt with FX Artists Screaming Mad George, David Grasso and Nick Benson
- Screaming Mad George music video
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork
- Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film, illustrated with original archive stills and posters
“Not one for the multiplexes, nor even for casual horror movie fans, Society is surrealistic, messed-up and like nothing else out there, graced with a sharper script than most horror films. If nothing else, it’s definitely original.” Stuart Giesel, Digital Retribution
“If you wait around long enough through the muddling plot, you’ll be treated to one of the strangest, grossest orgies ever caught on film. Filled with naked bodies, twisted flesh (literally), and morphing effects (one man’s head coming out of his rear was lovely), Society is a movie you definitely don’t want to watch with your grandmother… or a date… or your dog…” Patrick Naugle, DVD Verdict
“The setup is sly, sarcastic and subversive – and then the film really gets going, offering up one of the most radical, twisted and disgusting finales in all of cinema. If you’ve never laughed and thrown up at the same time, you’re missing out.” Tom Huddleston, Time Out