Death Ship is a 1980 Canadian-British horror film directed by Alvin Rakoff from a screenplay by John Robins. It stars George Kennedy, Richard Crenna (The Evil), Sally Ann Howes, and Nick Mancuso (Black Christmas).
Unbeknown to the passengers on board a cruise ship in the Caribbean, a mysterious vessel is approaching – on a collision course! Despite the attempts of the crew to avert disaster, the liner is lost with all hands down, except for seven survivors.
They are saved when they clamber aboard a ghostly freighter, where they discover an even worse fate. They are now prisoners on a former wartime vessel. As this ship speeds towards an unknown destination, they realise that something is intent on destroying each one of them in a gruesome and terrifying way…
Death Ship was released newly remastered in 2K on Blu-ray on December 11, 2018, by Scorpion Releasing, in conjunction with Kino Lorber. Special features:
- Audio commentary with director Alvin Rakoff
- Stormy Seas featurette with director Rakoff, writer Jack Hill, and actors George Kennedy and Nick Mancuso
- What the Ship is Saying featurette
- Watch the movie in “Nightmare Theater” mode
- Theatrical trailer
- Reversible artwork (although we are not sure why anyone would want the new artwork)
Buy Blu-ray: Amazon.com
” …Death Ship is the kind of movie people stumble upon late at night on TV and spend years trying to track down again. You’ve got all the ingredients here for a pulpy good time: a semi-celebrity cast; a supernatural high concept; a reasonable body count; and of course, an evil Nazi-spawned killer ship roaming the seas. How can you possibly resist.” Nathaniel Thompson, Mondo Digital
“Death Ship feels more like a made-for-TV movie than a big screen movie, and if not for the particularly captivating shower scene, it probably could have been. But even so, this movie is filled with great moments of creepiness that are really well executed. It also does well with creating an imposing sense of isolation. ” Todd Jordan, Rock! Shock! Pop!
” …the direction never moves beyond endless zooms to mirror pumping engines.” Steve Jenkins, Time Out Film Guide
Cast and characters:
- George Kennedy as Captain Ashland
- Richard Crenna as Trevor Marshall
- Nick Mancuso as Nick
- Sally Ann Howes as Margaret Marshall
- Kate Reid as Sylvia Morgan
- Victoria Burgoyne as Lori
- Jennifer Mckinney as Robin Marshall
- Danny Higham as Ben Marshall
- Saul Rubinek as Jackie
- Murray Cruchley as Parsons
HORRORPEDIA is wholly independent and we rely solely on the very minor income generated by affiliate links and internet ads to stay online. Please support us by not blocking ads on our site. Thank you.
Quick links to contents: