‘It’s the fight of the living dead’
The film depicts a wrestling-style fight to the death set inside an abandoned and cursed graveyard, shown in a pay-per-view style atmosphere. The fighters are eight classic movie monsters – Cyclops, Swamp Gut, Frankenstein’s Monster, Lady Vampire, Werewolf, Mummy, Witch Bitch and Zombie Man.
Acting as play-by‐play announcer is Buzz Chambers (Dave Foley) with commentating by former champ Sasquatch Sid (Art Hindle). The Brawl itself is divided into two classes: The Creature class and the Undead class. For the Creatures: Cyclops, Werewolf, Witch Bitch and Swamp Gut. For the Undead: Lady Vampire, Zombie Man, The Mummy and Frankenstein.
This is probably a great party movie, and my criticisms may well be missing the point because watching the film on your own on a Saturday morning is almost certainly not the way to see it.
Perhaps the limitations of set, character and story development won’t matter when you have a bunch of people chugging beers, placing bets and cheering on their monster heroes (in other words, much like a real wrestling show)? And if they had translated this idea to the live arena, even better.
Unfortunately, watching Monster Brawl alone and entirely sober is not a good idea, as the shortcomings are far too obvious.
David Flint, HORRORPEDIA
Buy Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk
“Perhaps Monster Brawl would have been better if it were released episodically – as a television or web series. As a film, it was dull, repetitive, and painful to watch for all the wrong reasons.” Bleeding Cool
Cast and characters:
- Dave Foley as Buzz Chambers
- Art Hindle as “Sasquatch” Sid Tucker
- Robert Maillet as Frankenstein
- Kevin Nash as Colonel Crookshank
- Lance Henriksen as the Narrator
- Jimmy Hart as Himself
- Herb Dean as Himself
- Jason David Brown as Cyclops /Swamp Gut / Cyril Haggard
- Kelly Couture as Lady Vampire
- R.J. Skinner as Werewolf / Mummy
- Rico Montana as Zombie Man
- Holly Letkeman as Witch Bitch
- John Geddes as Lieutenant Briggs
- Mark Gibson as Agent Dunn
- Christopher Goddard as Sheriff
- Jason Deline as Jacob Blackburn
- Jesse T. Cook as the Village Drunk
- Ashley Byford as Blonde Ring Girl
- Rachelle Corbeil as Black-haired Ring Girl
- Ari Millen as Dr. Igora
- Chris Rutte as The Grub
- Matt Wiele as The Messenger
- Janet Dee as Bucket Fanny
HORRORPEDIA provides an independent and unbiased range of diverse opinions and reviews from a wide variety of sources in one handy web location.
We rely solely on the very minor income generated by affiliate links and internet ads to stay online and expand. Please support us by not blocking ads on our site. Thank you.