Dead Men Walk is a 1943 American horror feature film directed by Sam Newfield from a story and screenplay by Fred Myton. It was produced by Sigmund Neufeld for Producers Releasing Corporation (PRC). The movie stars George Zucco, Mary Carlisle, Nedrick Young and Dwight Frye.
It was reissued in the USA in 1948 by Madison Pictures Inc. The film is now in the public domain.
“While nothing about it is original, even for 1943, it has undeniable charm; the exact kind you hope to find when purging on shoddy public domain prints of shocks from days gone by. While George Zucco performs well in Jekyll & Hyde type roles, Renfield himself, Dwight Frye steals the show as the familiar old hunchback helper.” Oh, the Horror!
“Not only does the film skimp on plot and script writing, it also skimps on sets. There are only four sets throughout the movie: the good doctor’s mansion, the church, outdoor/cemetery/shrubs, and the vampire’s bungalow he borrowed from Elvira.” Cheap as They Come
Cast and characters:
- George Zucco … Dr. Lloyd Clayton / Dr. Elwyn Clayton
- Mary Carlisle … Gayle Clayton
- Nedrick Young … Dr. David Bentley
- Dwight Frye … Zolarr
- Fern Emmett … Kate
- Robert Strange … Wilkins [Harper, in credits]
- Hal Price … Sheriff Losen
- Sam Flint … Minister
- Jimmy Aubrey … Townsman (uncredited)
- Frank Matts … Townsman (uncredited)
- Merrill McCormick … Townsman (uncredited)
- Milburn Morante … Groceryman (uncredited)
- Rose Plumer … Funeral Mourner (uncredited)
- Al St. John … Townsman who finds Kate’s Body (uncredited)
- Forrest Taylor … The Evil One (introduction) (uncredited)
Forgotten Horrors 2: Beyond the Horror Ban by Michael H. Price with George E. Turner, Midnight Marquee Press, 2009
Download whole film at the Internet Archive
Image credits: Wrong Side of the Art!
HORRORPEDIA is genuinely independent and we rely solely on the very minor income generated by affiliate links and online ads to maintain and grow our online presence. Please support us by not blocking ads on this website. Thank you.
Quick links to site contents: